Thursday, May 8, 2008

5.11 Tactical Product Development Meeting Contest



"A major award.... I won a MAJOR AWARD!!!"


Although being true to modern form my notice came via e-mail and not in a large wooden crate marked "Frag-eee-laay...hmmm must be Italian"


Several months ago I drew a design for a police related product and submitted it to the "5.11 Tactical Product Development Meeting Contest 2008" (whew! that's a mouthful!)... I have had this idea for a product I wanted for myself for a long time.





After doing patent research I realized that since the product uses existing technologies I could never patent my idea.... I contacted a few over-seas manufacturers for prices on prototypes and manufacturing... then I thought about how much money I would spend on packaging and money and time needed for marketing (including sitting at trade shows like the Shot Show)....



It just didn't make economical sense to invest all that time and money in an idea (that although I REALLY wanted and believed in) that could be easily (and legally) snatched up by another manufacturer. I decided to submit my idea in 5.11 Tactical's contest because I had a chance to get paid something... and eventually get my idea turned into a real product.


I decided that even if I did not win... I would still pay someone to produce one for me.




My idea?... well I can't reveal that now... but I can tell you what I won! Here are the contest details...




"Enter to win a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be part of the 5.11 Tactical® Product Development Team and attend a Product Development Meeting (PDM) at the 5.11 Lodge in Montana, plus a day of world-class trout fishing on the famous Big Horn River."



"WHAT YOU WIN:A three-day all expense paid trip to the 5.11 Lodge, located near the Bighorn Battlefield in Montana. Your trip consists of air travel to and from the PDM, a day of product development sessions and a day of guided fishing on the Bighorn River, home of North America’s premiere trout-fishing. Great food and luxury lodging is also included. "




"The goal of this PDM is to develop a commercially viable product that would become part of the 5.11 Tactical Series product assortment. Based on the outcome of this meeting 5.11 Tactical will develop product prototypes.* Individuals will receive a $511 prize for each product concept that makes it into our catalog. Attendees will also receive an assortment of current 5.11 Tactical series gear in addition to samples of products created during this PDM."


So I put in for leave for next month.... I am off to Montana to catch a fish (this is exciting because I am a fishing virgin... yes I know please don't think of me as less of a man) and give 5.11 Tactical my feedback on their products... and HOPEFULLY get my idea made into a cool new products of it's own!



If anyone wants me to pass on anything to the guys at 5.11, just post a comment here or email me at Contact@UtahCop.com .


0 comments:

Post a Comment