Friday, November 16, 2007

DUI, Prescription Drugs


The other night I got another DUI. I seem to be on a run lately as this is my second in a week. This one is different than other DUI's, and I really feel bad for arresting the guy. Another officer told me later I should have just cited him into court instead of booking him in to jail.... to be honest the thought never crossed my mind.

Usually I am THRILLED to take a DUI to jail... Even if I lose the DLD hearing...even if I lose the court case... I WIN!! How is that? because I took someone dangerous off the road (and it costs them a bunch of money)... so either way ...I WIN.

This gentleman though wasn't a drunk or a doper (as are most of my DUI's). This guy could be your dad. He was under the influence of a couple of pills that he was prescribed and taking legally... and I am certain he had NO IDEA he was IMPAIRED!.



I stopped him for drifting over the center line a couple time... not the worst driving pattern but it was 3am and no one else was out so I stopped to make sure. The first thing I noticed were his eyes.


His pupils were constricted like in the pic above even though it was dark out and were almost nonreactive to light changes. This is a sure sign of pain killer use which the driver later admitted to.


I called for a backup officer and conducted SFST's (Standardized Field Sobriety Tests). This guy could barely walk and stumbled during my tests. He could not stand on one foot to save his life. If anyone wants to know more about SFST's and what cops look for just write me and I will post it here step by step.


I believed this driver was impaired but I bet he had NO CLUE. I ended up calling in a DRE (Drug Recognition Expert) who administered more tests and came to the same conclusion I did. We drew his blood and booked him in jail.


HERE IS MY POINT: This gentleman was almost 60 years old and on his way to work. I don't believe he abuses drugs and I would not label him as a criminal... HOWEVER... this guy should NOT BE ON THE ROAD. I feel bad because I don't think his intent was ever to break the law or do something dangerous. I bet he didn't even feel "high".


IN MY OPINION: I think there are more people impaired from legal, prescribed medications than alcohol (at least in Utah) out on the road. I bet they don't even know it.


IF YOU KNOW SOMEONE who is prescribed pain killers or anti-anxiety medication (or if it you) take those warnings seriously. Talk to them make sure they never get into a driver's seat after taking them.







0 comments:

Post a Comment